Home

Menu

About the Inn

The Golden Eagle Inn, built by Dr. John Anderson in 1794, was first known as the Anderson Mansion. As the first brick building built in Bedford, it is also one of the oldest buildings in the downtown and is on the National Register of Historic Places. As an inn it has been known as many titles; the Pennsylvania House, the Farmers’ House, and the National House before finally being named the Golden Eagle (after a tavern that was once in the basement).

In the 1800’s the Inn became a fixture of Bedford’s annual agricultural fair housing the people who came in from the surrounding areas with their animals. Livestock was stabled in the back of the inn, while the farmers stayed at the inn while conducting business and trade in town. As it focused on hospitality and good food, it remained open as an inn until the mid-1960’s when the owner closed it to the public and used it as a private residence.

Jack and Orallee Kiefer bought the inn in 1990 and restored it to its current elegance. After more then 20 years, Oralee decided to retire.  In July of 2013, the Helsel family, along with their husbands took ownership of the grand building. Today, we at the Golden Eagle are excited to invite the public through her doors to share in the buildings history and her future.

Back

Book Room

Booking room on date